Monday, February 05, 2007

My half-arsed Day Out

Sooo, at the ripe old age of 26, I was feeling old and tired at the Big Day Out this year. The day seemed too long; too many kids in fairy wings, pajama pants or Australian flags (not because they are proud Aussies - but because they are rebels that were asked not to). I don't do drugs, and I wasn't interested in drinking - so I was one of probably, what 10 people who were actually there for the music???

Other than the Aussie bands/artists (all of whom I pretty much missed due to early or conflicting times/stages) - my only real interest was in The Killers. Thank God they did not disappoint. Shattered that I missed out on side show tickets. ONLY criticism was the absence of 'Uncle Johnny', other than that they were flawless. 'Bones', Mr. Brightside', 'Somebody Told Me' and 'Jenny Was a Friend of Mine' were particularly special.

Eskimo Joe, Jet, Sleepy Jackson, Evermore and Little Birdy were all impressive. You Am I were unreal. I found what I saw of Muse and Tool utterly boring and uninspiring. As much as I am not a fan, My Chemical Romance was better than both Muse and Tool put together.

Again, could be my newly found Nanna-ness, but I was appalled that when the singer from My Chemical Romance stopped performing to check that someone who fell in the mosh pit was alright - that I heard shouts of "poof" and"gee - that's rock n roll". Ummm, since when is someone hurting themselves, or dying (which has happened at a BDO, lets not forget). People are there to have fun, not get tramped on. I applaud the band for caring and being aware. If only Limp Bizkit has been as concerned...

I missed the lovely Miss. Lily Allen - but all was not lost as I went to the side show the following night. She was buggered, and it was obvious. But it was still a great gig. Met her briefly, for about 5 minutes, in which time she showed me her new tattoo and took her top off (she was bra-less). Not a shy girl!!!

So, will I BDO next year? Probably. Every year I was I will not go so early or stay so late; every year I say I might have next year off. But then I see the line up. I won;t make promises I can;t keep. If the line up is decent I will be there...and lets face it - the line up is always stellar.

Off to see Scissor Sisters strut their stuff on Friday night -c an;t wait. BRING IT ON!!!

Pop Princess xoxox

No comments: