Saturday, June 09, 2007

Music Snobs

I am so over music snobs. You know the type...everybody knows at least one, most of us know more than one.

They are the people who smirk at you when you tell them you like Britney Spears; the ones who shudder when you admit that 'Elephunk' is your favourite Black Eyed Peas album; the people who incessantly complain about commercial radio and the state of the music charts. I would like to alert these people to a fact that seem to elude them..

I DON'T CARE!!!!

I don't care if you don't like what I like; I don't care if what I like is looked down upon by you, or is something that you consider "inferior"; I don't care if it is "criminal" in your eyes to not want to listen to The Beatles/Led Zeppelin/The Clash/Bob Dylan, etc., etc, etc. in my spare time.

I think these people have missed the point. In all their complaining about the state of music these days they have forgotten that it is about what the individual gets out of it that matters. We listen to what we like because we identify with it, because it makes you feel something or identify with something.

Plus - why is your opinion more important than mine? Why do you know better? Who died and made you the music guru?

No amount of condescending comments, bullying or anything else will change what I enjoy.

Let's put an end to the waste of time that is the attempted re-education of the Pop Princess...news flash is that she doesn't want to "learn". I am happy liking what I like (and apparently so are hundreds and thousands of others who are buying similar titles to me, according to the charts).

Thank you very much.

Over and out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am the music guru! but dunno who died.lol hey i like brittany spears she rox, and elephunk was cooo ool! hmmm everyone looks at me funny when my cd i have at my shop plays anne murray, man i rock! i know how u feel

Anonymous said...

Damn! Whos been saying sh*t too you? Fuc, someone must have REALLY pis*ed you off. And my favorite BEP album is Bridging The Gap. It also works the other way though, when people say shit to me like, How can you like The Used/Funeral For A Friend/HIM/My Chemical Romance? Why would you listen to emo music? This is often followed by a self harm reference. So you enjoy whatever the fu*k you want!

Anonymous said...

hey dude
that is so spot on, l will be putting ur post out to all my friends on myspace, for the life of me l have never been able to explain my music tastes very well at all. l have all sorts of music from all over the spectrum range and you would probably say a quite eclectic collection. l have found that l seem to be listening to a lot of music from when l was at school, all the older pop and rock stuff that was around in yr 8 & 9, anyways l must shoot