Friday, January 27, 2006

Triple J's annual Hottest 100

Well, another Australia Day, another Triple J’s Hottest 100. It was fantastic to see so many Aussies featuring again, doing us proud!

Aussie Aussie Aussie…Oi Oi Oi!

Please see my wrap up of the Top 20 below…


#1. Bernard Fanning – Wish You Well:
Ah yes, Mr. Fanning. We should not be surprised, and yet I was. Yes, it is a great song, it is catchy. But was it THE best song of 2005? Also, if it were a personality concert Bernard would be lucky to crack the hundred…not that personality comes into it…but worth throwing a little zinger in there.


#2. Ben Lee – Catch My Disease:
Wow, Ben Lee must be shirty he missed out on the #1 spot; particularly to Mr. Fanning. It is no secret that there is no love lost between the two of them. I think Ben was a little unlucky. He was my pick (see post from 11/1). Don’t worry Ben…I’ve caught it!

#3. Gorillaz – Feel Good Inc.:
Go the Gorillaz!!! Not one but TWO songs in the top five! Gotta love that. Good luck to Damon Alban with his solo project this year; same with Blur’s newie…it will be hard to compete with the success the Gorillaz have had in the past 12 months.

#4. Foo Fighters – Best of You:

In my humble opinion this is the best song the Fooies have ever done. Love the song, love the lyrics, love the clip, love the band, loved their gig…just LOVE everything about them!

#5. Gorillaz – Dare:
Personally I prefer this song to Feel Good Inc. Both are killer tracks though. Amazing film clip too :0)

#6. Wolfmother – Mind’s Eye:
This song was widely tipped to take out the #1 spot. Still, three songs in the Top 20 and a total of SIX in the hundred. Boys must be happy with that ?!?


#7. The White Stripes – My Doorbell:
OK, anyone who knows me is aware that I hate the White Stripes and I think they are tremendously overrated. But even I quite like this song. Maybe their performance at the Big Day Out might be enough to turn me…only time will tell.

#8. End of Fashion – O Yeah:
Nice effort from the Perth boys. This song had to make an appearance, I am actually surprised it did not crack the Top 5. Still not a bad result at all. Can’t wait for the new Sleepy Jackson album this year.


#9. Wolfmother – Joker and the Thief:
Congratulations to lead singer Andrew Stockdale who has just become another celebrity Daddy (according tot he rest of the band during a Triple J interview)! Can’t wait to see the little ones hair do!

#10. Franz Ferdinand – Do You Want To:

These guys have a knack for head-bopping anthems that make you tap your feet without even realizing you are doing it. Another feel good track, antoher classic album. Can;t wait to see them live.

#11. Butterfingers – Fig Jam:
I don’t understand this band, but boy to they have a following! This is probably the best of their songs.


#12. Datarock – Computer Camp Love:
One of three songs in the Top 20 that I have never heard (from a band I have never heard of). Am I completely out of touch?


#13. Kanye West – Gold Digger:
Ah Kanye, what a year. Will be interesting to see how Mr. West goes down as U2’s support act for their Australian tour in March. An interesting combination. Can’t wait for Jamie Foxx’s album to be released here too! Another very well earned position here.

#14. Bernard Fanning – Songbird:
Nice song, but that is as far as I would go…nice. What will be the third single? Should be an interesting decision as the two most radio friendly songs are now tapped resources.


#15. Sarah Blasko – Flame Trees:
Beautiful cover by Sarah. Glad to see she made her presence known in this years Hottest 100. Very much deserved.


#16. Wolfmother – Apple Tree:
Anyone noticed that most of the Australian acts in the Top 20 have featured in my blog in the past month or two???

#17. The White Stripes – Blue Orchid:
Hmmm,yep, don’t like this one. But again, speak to me after Sunday…I may yet be a born again fan (but I doubt it). I had to giggle at Oasis' Noel Gallagher decribing Jack White's current look as 'a fat Zorro meets Johnny Depp'.

#18. The Herd – I Was Only 19:
No, 18 actually. This should have been traded for position #22 (Kisschasy – Do-Do’s and Whoa-oh’s).

#19. Josh Pyke – Middle of the Hill:
Josh who? Sorry…not digging it. This should be swapped with Faker ‘Hurricane’ (#21)

#20. Foo Fighters – DOA:

Please see notes at #4.


Another Hottest 100 over for the year!

A special mention has to go to The Living End who have made the 100 the past 9 years running…an amazing effort!

Til’ next time!

Pop Princess xo

No comments: