Thursday, February 16, 2006

An x-rated "Lift" from Shannon and a confusing moment with Rob Thomas

Enduring the “performance” of Shannon Noll’s support Lee Harding was one of the most lengthy and painful of my life. I would describe is glorified karaoke…but even glorified would be pushing it. He murdered ‘Eye of the Tiger’, ‘Tainted Love’ and a Beatles song I wasn’t even able to recognize once he’d had his way with it. He should be charged. Mind you, the twelve years olds surrounding me seemed wildly impressed. I don’t get it. Usually I do have the same taste as the twelve year olds, but on this occasion it is lost on me. I get hat he is a bouncy, happy type; and the look is kind of appealing. But all that gets rather old watching him prance around the stage performing gestures to every word of every song, doing that stupid face he does. It is all very cute, and quite novel, in small doses. He is the new Rob Mills, the sooner he realizes that he is a fad the better. How ironic his debut album is entitles ‘What Is Wrong With This Picture’…hmmm, where to start!

Anyway, after this torture, the main event started. Shannon burst on to the stage with current single ‘Lift’. It was obvious from the word go that this was a different Shannon Noll than the one I saw 18-odd months ago. This man was comfortable. There were no odd-jerky dance movements, no nervous looks around the stage, no trouble pulling off any of the notes. Not that Shannon was bad last time, he wasn’t. He was just inexperienced and it was obvious. He has developed into a first class singer and entertainer, I could not be happier for him.

Highlights were ‘Now I Run’ (the third single); ‘What About Me’ and ‘Shine’. 'Black Car' also went down a treat, as well as a new song penned for him by Bryan Adams (I'm sorry I can't remember what it was called, but it is the B-side to the 3rd single).

The lowest point of the show was during the performance of ‘Down on Me’ (leaving that obvious and dirty joke alone) early in the set when one of the speakers shut down mid-song and we were unable to hear him or the band! However, after this minor glitch things went well.

Clearly Shannon was impressed with how things went, perhaps more than just a little impressed. I don’t mean to sound like a pervert, but about the third song in a strange bulge appeared in Mr. Noll’s pants and did not seem to leave for a song or two. I also notice his constant tugging down of his shirt and positioning of his non-mic hand remarkable close to this bulge on regular occasions. I could be wrong…I can only say what I saw. Thankfully this mysterious phenomenon had disappeared before he brought his two sons on stage to say hello. As Shannon would quote several times throughout the night (from Madagascar) "Smile and wave boys...smile and wave".

The fact that Shannon had three shows at the Athenaeum Theatre and two at the Mercury Lounge go to show that he is far from the predicted flash in the pan and has established himself as a notable Australian artist who deserves our respect.

That’s What I’m Talking Bout!

Mr. Rob Thomas also popped in to Melbourne to celebrate Valentines Day and his 34th birthday. My expectations were amazingly high for this gig; perhaps that is why I left the venue feeling slightly disappointed. Rob did nothing wrong. He played the hits, he spoke to the crowd, he shook his ass, he was upbeat, yet there was SOMETHING missing. I will attempt to put my finger on it.

Matchbox 20 never fail to deliver when they perform live. Rob Thomas is the centre piece of that. But another crucial element is the way the band interacts together. It is something that cannot be underestimated in a performance situation. Band members feed off each others energy. But M20 have something more than that, they have unmistakable, anthem-like hits. Now, don’t get me wrong, ‘Something To Be’ has had hits; it has had massive hits. But I hardly think the likes of ‘Lonely No More’ or ‘This Is How A Heat Breaks’ compare to the caliber of tracks such as ‘Push’, ‘Real World’ or ‘Bright Lights’. The closest to anything that compares would have to be 'Ever The Same'. The tracks are not bad, but itis like comparing apples and oranges.

That can’t be the problem though, as Thomas did perform stripped down versions of some of Matchbox 20’s finest moments. I must admit I did find the order of the songs quite confusing. One minute you were up bopping to ‘Streetcorner Symphony’ the next you were sinking back into your seat for a ballad resembling the form of Santana/Thomas hit ‘Smooth’. There was no “flow” for want of a better word. Every time momentum was building there was a cut in the power supply.

These feelings of the show being incomplete did not engulf me following Rob Thomas’ gig at the Mercury Lounge when ‘Something To Be’ was first released. It is this that leads me to the conclusion that it is possible that what upset me most about this gig is that the quality songs Thomas had to offer were lost in the hugeness of the venue and the all-encompassing noise of his band and the business of the stage. The emotions of key tracks were invisible in a stadium the way they were in a smaller venue.

There was nothing wrong with the Rob Thomas concert. (It had great moments, his cover of Bowie's 'Let's Dance' immediately springs to mind). It simply could have been better. He should have lost the band and played smaller theatre-style shows and let his melodies and heart-felt lyrics be the focal point. Otherwise, why do a solo album and tour when it appears sub-standard in comparison to his work with Matchbox 20?

Luv Pop Princess xo

P.S. This post is NOT a Rob Thomas slagging forum, he is and always will be a favourite of mine. The concert was good, it just was not great. He can do great, I’ve seen it.

P.P.S I WAS slagging off Lee Harding though. It is not personal, I'm sure he is a nice guy. His songs and performance leave me cold. I am aware he is popular, but I don;t like him and it is my blog so I can say so!

No comments: