Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Music makes the world go round

It has been a long time! I have been extremely busy with work and uni, so apologies for the recent lack of blogging….

First of all, have to comment on The Rolling Stones gig…Wow; I hope I am that full of energy when I reach their age! I have to be honest and admit that I am not a massive Stones fan, but I was very excited about this gig…I mean, it’s the Stones. Every music lover has to experience them live, and who knows how many more times they will hit our shores? It certainly was an experience, and worth going just for the moveable stage! For those who were not there, the stage was moved mid-concert from one end of the arena, to the other so all fans got to be close to their idols. A nice touch I thought…Fav songs for me were “Start Me Up”, “Sympathy for the Devil” and "Pain It Black". Hats off to Airbourne, who blew the crowd away whist they were waiting for the Grandfather’s of rock to emerge. Bring on the debut release!

I had the pleasure of going to see Nickelback on Friday night. Rod Laver Arena was packed and the crowd was vibed! Chad Kroeger is a fantastic front man, and quite a spunk despite his “ugly Paddle-pop lion” image. He knows how to work an audience, and handle a guitar. The best sing-a-long moments were “How You Remind Me”; “Figured You Out” and “Photograph”. The pyros were magnificent too!

Korn played at Vodafone Arena the following night, and failed o impress me quite as much. I could deal with the lead singer getting oxygen after every song (though it does seem odd, how old would he be?); but the distorted and virtually un-hearable vocals where down right annoying. At one point mid-song the whole sound went off completely for a couple of minutes. I know none of this is really the bands fault, but it is disappointing. It was, however, worth going to this gig to hear the final 3 or so songs “Got The Life”, “Twisted Transistor” and “Freak On A Leash”. Hearing these tracks, reminded you how good this band can be, and why so many people turned out to see them (Oh, and Hatebreed and Disturbed).

To finish off my musical weekend I took my Mum, and future Mother In-law to see The Choirboys, Jon Stevens and Ian Moss. It bloody rocked! Old school, classic pub rock at it’s best! We didn’t get to see the whole of the Choirboys set, but “Run To Paradise” was as great as you would expect it to be. Jon Stevens rocked out with a full band, playing classics like “Take Me Back” and “Hot Chilli Woman”; and covers of “Jealous Guy” and “Light My Fire”. Mossy then came out and performed an acoustic set featuring “Tucker’s Daughter”, “Telephone Booth” and “Bo River”. I was easily the youngest person at this gig by about ten years, and I think us young-ies are missing out! They don’t rock like this anymore, it was a thoroughly enjoyable night all round.

As far as CD’s go, I haven’t had much of an opportunity to listen too intently. I can, however, highly recommend the latest offering from You Am I, "Convicts" is released mid-May…get amongst it!

Promise not to leave it so long next time…

Pop Princess xoxox

No comments: